Monday, April 27, 2009

National Duathlon Festival Championship

Have you ever had one of those races that when its over, you wonder why you did it? Let's think about it. Of the three events of a triathlon, the swim is my strongest leg, followed closely by cycling with running a very distant third. So why did I enter a national-level multi-sport event that has no swim and is run-centric? Is it because that it's in my hometown? Is it because there will be some national-class athletes? Or is it because they event has some great items in the packet?! The answer is "Yes" to all three. However, I knew that this would be a test for me. I've been working on my run and it's starting to pay off some but my run is still far behind relative to the swim and bike. So far this year, the longest running road race I've done was the Frostbite 15K. Even thought the run will be the same length, there wasn't a bike leg in between the 10 and 5k. Before the race, I felt fit. I met my goal at the Monument Ave. 10k and I had a good result at the Smithfield tri. However, I knew this event would test me and it did!

One thing about Richmond is that you'll never know what kind of weather you will have. While one year you may have a cold rain with temperatures in the 30s and 40s, the next may be hot with highs in the 90s with neither being ideal for this race. The forecast high for that day was the mid-90s! The organizers, in their wisdom, started the waves with the oldest first, which meant I was in the second wave! There were about 60 or so in my wave and I started towards the back so I wouldn't get in the way! I started out at a comfortable pace. I was looking for mile markers and didn't see one until mile-2, which I think was too soon based on the time. The route was circuitous and over varied terrain from smooth pavement to gravel to grass! Knowing that I still had a 38k bike and another 5k run, I kept my pace at a moderate tempo with a goal of 57 minutes. I finish the run at about 57:22, almost right on time! Maybe I could meet my goal of finishing in under 2:45.

After a decent transition of about 1:15, I started out on the bike with a short steep hill to start followed by a fast downhill where I reached a speed of nearly 40mph! The course is three laps of a rather technical course with many turns and some moderate elevation changes. I felt good and was maintaining a decent speed. However, because the course was technical and require many shift changes, I wasn't able to stay on the aerobars. Right at the end of the first lap, I started having problems with my chain. I had some repairs recently completed on my bike and the chain had a stiff link, which cause a skip in the drive each time the link passed the rear derailleur. I thought I had repaired it earlier that week but here it was, a third of the way into the bike, and it started skipping gears again. Also, the problem was intermittent, it would skip for five-ten minutes and then stop for a few minutes. It totally threw me off my rhythm since the impulse of the skip would reverberate throughout my legs. I finally finished, albeit about 2-3 mph average slower then my goal. Also, my legs were beat afterwards! Now I have to run another 5k!

By this time, I knew I wouldn't make my goal but could I still break 3 hours? I dunno! I was beat! After a lackluster transition, I started on the run.... errr... more like a shuffle. After a few hundred meters, I was walking. Many participants passing me would shout encouragements and that would get me going again but it didn't last. (Multi-sport athletes are so supportive!) I continued to run as long as I could and walk when I have to. Finally, I knew I was near the finish when I went by the Tredegar Iron works. I started running again at the turn around near Virginia Power then ran up the hill, pass the old Iron Works toward the finish line with a time of 2:55:20, ten minutes slower than my goal but I finished!!!!

After cooling down and downing water and sport drinks, I took advantage of the tailgate party Richmond Tri Club put on! At that time, I wasn't feeling the effects...yet! When I got home that afternoon, I promptly when to the den, laid down on the sofa and fell asleep! When I awoke, my legs were screaming at me! At that point, I was saying to myself, "Why did I sign up for this!" And I as I sit here writing this post, over a day after the event, my legs are still sore. Well, the answer is that I could. A year and a half ago, I wouldn't even think about entering this event! Yes I was slow, I hurt, but I did it! Plus, I have a great backpack to use for my next tri!

Richmond Sportsbacker put on great events and this one is no exception! I do have a few suggestions. On the bike course, there was at least one intersection with a traffic light where there wasn't any traffic control or police officers. This was an accident waiting to happen. Pads put down over bridge joints sometimes did not lay flat and became more of a hazard then the joint itself. Also, the 5k leg seemed to be a little short (not that I was complaining at the time!)

No comments: