Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Turkey Trot 10k - What a Challenge!

On Thanksgiving day, the Richmond Road Runners Club held their annual Turkey Trot 10k at the University of Richmond. I have never ran the race but heard that it's "technical", which means there are hills on that thar course. And boy were they! Going in, I knew it was going to be a hard course since I grew up near there and I know the area. But knowing the area and running it are two different things. Being an over-fifty Clydesdale makes it even harder. The morning was cold with a temperature around 27F. I arrived about thirty minutes before the race and milled around and talked to some friends I saw there. I seeded myself about midway in the pack of 1000.

Then the race started and it took about twenty seconds or so before I even cross the start line. Unfortunately, many folks up front didn't seed themselves and it was real slow going for the first mile, which was mostly uphill. That hill wasn't that bad and the crowd was thinner when it went back down the hill. The course was rolling with several stretches of up and downs. Then the course went on a wooded trail and up a very steep hill with tiers made of railroad ties. This is were I almost got sick! Then it went to a steep downhill on the trail with an uneven surface and roots just waiting for me to sprain my ankle! (and I have weak ankles!). However, I think the last uphill was the worse. It wasn't the steepest but it was long, you knew you were near the finish and you're tired! I saw a neighbor nearly get sick! The final leg was downhill and you kept up some speed for the finish line to make sure you look good finishing.

I had a goal of 56:00 for the race and my official time was around 55:56 and my unofficial time was around 55:38, so goal met! But I was really drained after this race but at least I was able to enjoy the big meal!

No comments: